What is involved in Software Development Security
Find out what the related areas are that Software Development Security connects with, associates with, correlates with or affects, and which require thought, deliberation, analysis, review and discussion. This unique checklist stands out in a sense that it is not per-se designed to give answers, but to engage the reader and lay out a Software Development Security thinking-frame.
How far is your company on its Software Development Security journey?
Take this short survey to gauge your organization’s progress toward Software Development Security leadership. Learn your strongest and weakest areas, and what you can do now to create a strategy that delivers results.
To address the criteria in this checklist for your organization, extensive selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information.
Start the Checklist
Below you will find a quick checklist designed to help you think about which Software Development Security related domains to cover and 183 essential critical questions to check off in that domain.
The following domains are covered:
Software Development Security, Antivirus software, Application security, Computer access control, Computer crime, Computer hardware, Computer security, Computer virus, Computer worm, Data-centric security, Denial-of-service attack, Denial of service, Information security, Information system, Information technology, Information technology controls, Integrated development environment, Internet security, Intrusion detection system, Intrusion prevention system, Logic bomb, Mobile secure gateway, Mobile security, Multi-factor authentication, Network security, Polymorphic code, Screen scrape, Secure coding, Security-focused operating system, Security by design, Security controls, Security software, Security testing, Software development, Software development process, Software engineer, Systems development life cycle, Trojan horse, Web application security:
Software Development Security Critical Criteria:
Grasp Software Development Security tasks and grade techniques for implementing Software Development Security controls.
– What is the source of the strategies for Software Development Security strengthening and reform?
– How will you measure your Software Development Security effectiveness?
Antivirus software Critical Criteria:
Use past Antivirus software engagements and be persistent.
– Think about the functions involved in your Software Development Security project. what processes flow from these functions?
– What potential environmental factors impact the Software Development Security effort?
– What are the Key enablers to make this Software Development Security move?
Application security Critical Criteria:
Distinguish Application security adoptions and separate what are the business goals Application security is aiming to achieve.
– In a project to restructure Software Development Security outcomes, which stakeholders would you involve?
– Can Management personnel recognize the monetary benefit of Software Development Security?
– Who Is Responsible for Web Application Security in the Cloud?
Computer access control Critical Criteria:
Apply Computer access control quality and spearhead techniques for implementing Computer access control.
– How do your measurements capture actionable Software Development Security information for use in exceeding your customers expectations and securing your customers engagement?
– Will new equipment/products be required to facilitate Software Development Security delivery for example is new software needed?
– Which individuals, teams or departments will be involved in Software Development Security?
Computer crime Critical Criteria:
Discourse Computer crime outcomes and remodel and develop an effective Computer crime strategy.
– Is maximizing Software Development Security protection the same as minimizing Software Development Security loss?
– How important is Software Development Security to the user organizations mission?
– How do we maintain Software Development Securitys Integrity?
Computer hardware Critical Criteria:
Demonstrate Computer hardware decisions and question.
– What will be the consequences to the business (financial, reputation etc) if Software Development Security does not go ahead or fails to deliver the objectives?
– Who will provide the final approval of Software Development Security deliverables?
– Are there recognized Software Development Security problems?
Computer security Critical Criteria:
Chart Computer security leadership and test out new things.
– Does your company provide end-user training to all employees on Cybersecurity, either as part of general staff training or specifically on the topic of computer security and company policy?
– Will the selection of a particular product limit the future choices of other computer security or operational modifications and improvements?
– How do we Identify specific Software Development Security investment and emerging trends?
– Are accountability and ownership for Software Development Security clearly defined?
Computer virus Critical Criteria:
Transcribe Computer virus leadership and look in other fields.
– Record-keeping requirements flow from the records needed as inputs, outputs, controls and for transformation of a Software Development Security process. ask yourself: are the records needed as inputs to the Software Development Security process available?
– How do you incorporate cycle time, productivity, cost control, and other efficiency and effectiveness factors into these Software Development Security processes?
– Who needs to know about Software Development Security ?
Computer worm Critical Criteria:
Differentiate Computer worm decisions and find the ideas you already have.
– How can you measure Software Development Security in a systematic way?
– Is Software Development Security Required?
Data-centric security Critical Criteria:
Deduce Data-centric security outcomes and get the big picture.
– Think about the kind of project structure that would be appropriate for your Software Development Security project. should it be formal and complex, or can it be less formal and relatively simple?
– What is data-centric security and its role in GDPR compliance?
– How can we improve Software Development Security?
Denial-of-service attack Critical Criteria:
Experiment with Denial-of-service attack leadership and use obstacles to break out of ruts.
– IDS/IPS traffic pattern analysis can often detect or block attacks such as a denial-of-service attack or a network scan. However, in some cases this is legitimate traffic (such as using cloud infrastructure for load testing or security testing). Does the cloud provider have a documented exception process for allowing legitimate traffic that the IDS/IPS flags as an attack pattern?
– Can we add value to the current Software Development Security decision-making process (largely qualitative) by incorporating uncertainty modeling (more quantitative)?
– Who will be responsible for deciding whether Software Development Security goes ahead or not after the initial investigations?
– Is the provider able to withstand and adapt to high-traffic attacks, such as Distributed Denial-of-Service attacks?
Denial of service Critical Criteria:
Guard Denial of service goals and figure out ways to motivate other Denial of service users.
– An administrator is concerned about denial of service attacks on their virtual machines (vms). what is an effective method to reduce the risk of this type of attack?
– How easy would it be to lose your service if a denial of service attack is launched within your cloud provider?
– What role does communication play in the success or failure of a Software Development Security project?
– What are the barriers to increased Software Development Security production?
– What ability does the provider have to deal with denial of service attacks?
– What threat is Software Development Security addressing?
Information security Critical Criteria:
Exchange ideas about Information security adoptions and look in other fields.
– Does the information security function actively engage with other critical functions, such as it, Human Resources, legal, and the privacy officer, to develop and enforce compliance with information security and privacy policies and practices?
– Has the organization established an Identity and Access Management program that is consistent with requirements, policy, and applicable guidelines and which identifies users and network devices?
– Has specific responsibility been assigned for the execution of business continuity and disaster recovery plans (either within or outside of the information security function)?
– Does the ISMS policy provide a framework for setting objectives and establishes an overall sense of direction and principles for action with regard to information security?
– Is a risk treatment plan formulated to identify the appropriate mgmt action, resources, responsibilities and priorities for managing information security risks?
– Are Human Resources subject to screening, and do they have terms and conditions of employment defining their information security responsibilities?
– Do suitable policies for the information security exist for all critical assets of the value added chain (indication of completeness of policies, Ico )?
– Does this review include assessing opportunities for improvement, need for changes to the ISMS, review of information security policy & objectives?
– Do suitable policies for the information security exist for all critical assets of the value added chain (degree of completeness)?
– Are information security roles and responsibilities coordinated and aligned with internal roles and external partners?
– Are we requesting exemption from or modification to established information security policies or standards?
– What information security and privacy standards or regulations apply to the cloud customers domain?
– Have standards for information security across all entities been established or codified into law?
– Is an organizational information security policy established?
– : Return of Information Security Investment, Are you spending enough?
Information system Critical Criteria:
Reason over Information system risks and secure Information system creativity.
– Have we developed a continuous monitoring strategy for the information systems (including monitoring of security control effectiveness for system-specific, hybrid, and common controls) that reflects the organizational Risk Management strategy and organizational commitment to protecting critical missions and business functions?
– On what terms should a manager of information systems evolution and maintenance provide service and support to the customers of information systems evolution and maintenance?
– Has your organization conducted a cyber risk or vulnerability assessment of its information systems, control systems, and other networked systems?
– Are information security events and weaknesses associated with information systems communicated in a manner to allow timely corrective action to be taken?
– Are information systems and the services of information systems things of value that have suppliers and customers?
– What does the customer get from the information systems performance, and on what does that depend, and when?
– How do mission and objectives affect the Software Development Security processes of our organization?
– Do we monitor the Software Development Security decisions made and fine tune them as they evolve?
– What are the principal business applications (i.e. information systems available from staff PC desktops)?
– Why Learn About Security, Privacy, and Ethical Issues in Information Systems and the Internet?
– How secure -well protected against potential risks is the information system ?
– What are the business goals Software Development Security is aiming to achieve?
– Is unauthorized access to information held in information systems prevented?
– What does integrity ensure in an information system?
– Is authorized user access to information systems ensured?
– How are our information systems developed ?
– Is security an integral part of information systems?
Information technology Critical Criteria:
Communicate about Information technology engagements and integrate design thinking in Information technology innovation.
– Do the response plans address damage assessment, site restoration, payroll, Human Resources, information technology, and administrative support?
– Does your company have defined information technology risk performance metrics that are monitored and reported to management on a regular basis?
– If a survey was done with asking organizations; Is there a line between your information technology department and your information security department?
– What new services of functionality will be implemented next with Software Development Security ?
– Meeting the challenge: are missed Software Development Security opportunities costing us money?
– What sources do you use to gather information for a Software Development Security study?
– How does new information technology come to be applied and diffused among firms?
– The difference between data/information and information technology (it)?
– When do you ask for help from Information Technology (IT)?
Information technology controls Critical Criteria:
Reason over Information technology controls leadership and visualize why should people listen to you regarding Information technology controls.
– In the case of a Software Development Security project, the criteria for the audit derive from implementation objectives. an audit of a Software Development Security project involves assessing whether the recommendations outlined for implementation have been met. in other words, can we track that any Software Development Security project is implemented as planned, and is it working?
Integrated development environment Critical Criteria:
Closely inspect Integrated development environment leadership and maintain Integrated development environment for success.
– How does the organization define, manage, and improve its Software Development Security processes?
– Who will be responsible for documenting the Software Development Security requirements in detail?
– What are internal and external Software Development Security relations?
Internet security Critical Criteria:
Group Internet security visions and ask questions.
– Do we aggressively reward and promote the people who have the biggest impact on creating excellent Software Development Security services/products?
– Who sets the Software Development Security standards?
– What are our Software Development Security Processes?
Intrusion detection system Critical Criteria:
See the value of Intrusion detection system projects and stake your claim.
– How do we ensure that implementations of Software Development Security products are done in a way that ensures safety?
– Can intrusion detection systems be configured to ignore activity that is generated by authorized scanner operation?
– Do several people in different organizational units assist with the Software Development Security process?
– What is a limitation of a server-based intrusion detection system (ids)?
– Do we have past Software Development Security Successes?
Intrusion prevention system Critical Criteria:
Drive Intrusion prevention system results and devote time assessing Intrusion prevention system and its risk.
– Are security alerts from the intrusion detection or intrusion prevention system (ids/ips) continuously monitored, and are the latest ids/ips signatures installed?
– How can we incorporate support to ensure safe and effective use of Software Development Security into the services that we provide?
– Have you identified your Software Development Security key performance indicators?
– Is a intrusion detection or intrusion prevention system used on the network?
Logic bomb Critical Criteria:
Chart Logic bomb decisions and spearhead techniques for implementing Logic bomb.
– What are your current levels and trends in key measures or indicators of Software Development Security product and process performance that are important to and directly serve your customers? how do these results compare with the performance of your competitors and other organizations with similar offerings?
– How can you negotiate Software Development Security successfully with a stubborn boss, an irate client, or a deceitful coworker?
Mobile secure gateway Critical Criteria:
Disseminate Mobile secure gateway projects and integrate design thinking in Mobile secure gateway innovation.
– Does Software Development Security analysis isolate the fundamental causes of problems?
– Does our organization need more Software Development Security education?
– What is our Software Development Security Strategy?
Mobile security Critical Criteria:
Match Mobile security tasks and don’t overlook the obvious.
– Which customers cant participate in our Software Development Security domain because they lack skills, wealth, or convenient access to existing solutions?
– What are the disruptive Software Development Security technologies that enable our organization to radically change our business processes?
Multi-factor authentication Critical Criteria:
Confer over Multi-factor authentication goals and pay attention to the small things.
– Does remote server administration require multi-factor authentication of administrative users for systems and databases?
– How do we make it meaningful in connecting Software Development Security with what users do day-to-day?
– Is multi-factor authentication supported for provider services?
– How do we Lead with Software Development Security in Mind?
– Are there Software Development Security Models?
Network security Critical Criteria:
Experiment with Network security failures and explore and align the progress in Network security.
– Do we Make sure to ask about our vendors customer satisfaction rating and references in our particular industry. If the vendor does not know its own rating, it may be a red flag that youre dealing with a company that does not put Customer Service at the forefront. How would a company know what to improve if it had no idea what areas customers felt were lacking?
– What are the success criteria that will indicate that Software Development Security objectives have been met and the benefits delivered?
– Are the disaster recovery plan (DRP) and the business contingency plan (BCP) tested annually?
Polymorphic code Critical Criteria:
Distinguish Polymorphic code projects and probe Polymorphic code strategic alliances.
– Is Software Development Security dependent on the successful delivery of a current project?
– What is our formula for success in Software Development Security ?
Screen scrape Critical Criteria:
Meet over Screen scrape outcomes and suggest using storytelling to create more compelling Screen scrape projects.
– Does Software Development Security analysis show the relationships among important Software Development Security factors?
– How will you know that the Software Development Security project has been successful?
– How would one define Software Development Security leadership?
Secure coding Critical Criteria:
Boost Secure coding quality and catalog Secure coding activities.
– Are there any disadvantages to implementing Software Development Security? There might be some that are less obvious?
Security-focused operating system Critical Criteria:
Trace Security-focused operating system visions and balance specific methods for improving Security-focused operating system results.
– Do we all define Software Development Security in the same way?
Security by design Critical Criteria:
Refer to Security by design quality and probe the present value of growth of Security by design.
– At what point will vulnerability assessments be performed once Software Development Security is put into production (e.g., ongoing Risk Management after implementation)?
– What are current Software Development Security Paradigms?
Security controls Critical Criteria:
Add value to Security controls planning and find the essential reading for Security controls researchers.
– Are there multiple physical security controls (such as badges, escorts, or mantraps) in place that would prevent unauthorized individuals from gaining access to the facility?
– Does the cloud service agreement make its responsibilities clear and require specific security controls to be applied to the application?
– Are regular reviews of the effectiveness of the ISMS (including meeting of ISMS policy and objectives and review of security controls) undertaken?
– Do the security controls encompass not only the cloud services themselves, but also the management interfaces offered to customers?
– Can the cloud service provider demonstrate appropriate security controls applied to their physical infrastructure and facilities?
– What prevents me from making the changes I know will make me a more effective Software Development Security leader?
– Do we have policies and methodologies in place to ensure the appropriate security controls for each application?
– Is the measuring of the effectiveness of the selected security controls or group of controls defined?
– Does the cloud service provider have necessary security controls on their human resources?
– Do we have sufficient processes in place to enforce security controls and standards?
– Have vendors documented and independently verified their Cybersecurity controls?
– Do we have sufficient processes in place to enforce security controls and standards?
– Is a Software Development Security Team Work effort in place?
– What are the known security controls?
Security software Critical Criteria:
Closely inspect Security software issues and document what potential Security software megatrends could make our business model obsolete.
– How likely is the current Software Development Security plan to come in on schedule or on budget?
Security testing Critical Criteria:
Adapt Security testing engagements and simulate teachings and consultations on quality process improvement of Security testing.
– Does Software Development Security include applications and information with regulatory compliance significance (or other contractual conditions that must be formally complied with) in a new or unique manner for which no approved security requirements, templates or design models exist?
– Does the Software Development Security task fit the clients priorities?
– What are specific Software Development Security Rules to follow?
Software development Critical Criteria:
Meet over Software development engagements and pay attention to the small things.
– The fundamentals of agile software development, agile project management, and evolutionary development have been proven and demonstrated to be highly successful. Are these now preferred in our organization?
– Can working in an agile mode assist a corporate venture in achieving good results early, in starting business, and in bringing income for the parent company?
– How will nonfunctional requirements pertaining to availability, security, performance, and many other factors be addressed?
– Where does User Experience come from, what does it add to the software development process and what methods are available?
– Does the organization have a distinct quality program that support continuous process improvement?
– Is it important to have a very detailed specification and design before moving to implementation?
– Do you think you could provide every last detail the developers need to know right off the bat?
– Will the organizational culture support new values of the agile team?
– What software development and data management tools been selected?
– WHEN ARE DEFECTS IDENTIFIED IN THE SOFTWARE DEVELOPMENT LIFECYCLE?
– Is There a Role for Complex Adaptive Systems Theory?
– So what do your developers do differently in agile?
– What does it mean to scale agile solution delivery?
– How can a conceptual agile framework be developed?
– How could a more enhanced framework be developed?
– How Extreme Does Extreme Programming Have to Be?
– How do disciplined agile teams work at scale?
– How do Agile projects prioritize work?
– What is Scale and Why Manage It?
– What Is Extreme Programming?
Software development process Critical Criteria:
See the value of Software development process outcomes and drive action.
– Does Software Development Security create potential expectations in other areas that need to be recognized and considered?
– Why is it important to have senior management support for a Software Development Security project?
– Will Software Development Security deliverables need to be tested and, if so, by whom?
Software engineer Critical Criteria:
Gauge Software engineer leadership and reduce Software engineer costs.
– DevOps isnt really a product. Its not something you can buy. DevOps is fundamentally about culture and about the quality of your application. And by quality I mean the specific software engineering term of quality, of different quality attributes. What matters to you?
– Can we answer questions like: Was the software process followed and software engineering standards been properly applied?
– Is open source software development faster, better, and cheaper than software engineering?
– Better, and cheaper than software engineering?
Systems development life cycle Critical Criteria:
Survey Systems development life cycle issues and find out.
– Why is the systems development life cycle considered an iterative process?
– What are the five steps in the systems development life cycle (sdlc)?
Trojan horse Critical Criteria:
Adapt Trojan horse management and finalize the present value of growth of Trojan horse.
– What other jobs or tasks affect the performance of the steps in the Software Development Security process?
– What are the short and long-term Software Development Security goals?
Web application security Critical Criteria:
Co-operate on Web application security projects and give examples utilizing a core of simple Web application security skills.
– What are our needs in relation to Software Development Security skills, labor, equipment, and markets?
– Have all basic functions of Software Development Security been defined?
This quick readiness checklist is a selected resource to help you move forward. Learn more about how to achieve comprehensive insights with the Software Development Security Self Assessment:
Author: Gerard Blokdijk
CEO at The Art of Service | theartofservice.com
Gerard is the CEO at The Art of Service. He has been providing information technology insights, talks, tools and products to organizations in a wide range of industries for over 25 years. Gerard is a widely recognized and respected information expert. Gerard founded The Art of Service consulting business in 2000. Gerard has authored numerous published books to date.
To address the criteria in this checklist, these selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information:
Antivirus software External links:
Geek Squad Antivirus Software Download | Webroot
Consumer antivirus software providers for Windows
Spybot – Search & Destroy Anti-malware & Antivirus Software
Application security External links:
Application Security News, Tutorials & Tools – DZone
BLM Application Security System
Program Rules – Application Security – Google
Computer access control External links:
Survei | Access Control | Computer Access Control
CASSIE – Computer Access Control
Smart Card Technology: New Methods for Computer Access Control
Computer crime External links:
Computer Crime Info – Official Site
Computer Crime and Intellectual Property Section …
www.justice.gov › … › About The Criminal Division › Sections/Offices
What is Computer Crime?
Computer hardware External links:
Computer Hardware, Software, Technology Solutions | Insight
Computer Hardware | Computerworld
Computer security External links:
[PDF]Computer Security Incident Handling Guide – …
Introduction to Computer Security
Naked Security – Computer Security News, Advice and …
Computer virus External links:
Don’t fall for this computer virus scam! – May. 12, 2017
FixMeStick | The Leading Computer Virus Cleaner
Computer worm External links:
Stuxnet: Computer worm opens new era of warfare – YouTube
Denial of service External links:
Best Practices for Preventing DoS/Denial of Service …
Information security External links:
[PDF]Department of the Navy Information Security Program
ALTA – Information Security
Federal Information Security Management Act of 2002 – NIST
Information system External links:
National Motor Vehicle Title Information System (NMVTIS)
National Motor Vehicle Title Information System (NMVTIS)
National Motor Vehicle Title Information System
Information technology External links:
Student Email | Information Technology
Rebelmail | UNLV Office of Information Technology (OIT)
Umail | University Information Technology Services
Integrated development environment External links:
Anypoint Studio | Integrated Development Environment …
Integrated Development Environment – Green Hills MULTI
Integrated Development Environment Elements
Internet security External links:
CUJO AI Internet Security Firewall – Official Site
Norton Internet Security & Antivirus Tools | XFINITY
Antivirus Software, Internet Security, Spyware and …
Intrusion detection system External links:
Intrusion Detection System | Security Data Management
What is Intrusion Detection System? Webopedia Definition
Intrusion prevention system External links:
Wireless Intrusion Prevention System (WIPS) | …
Cisco Next-Generation Intrusion Prevention System …
Next-Generation Intrusion Prevention System (NGIPS – …
Logic bomb External links:
‘Logic Bomb’ Dropped On Brokerage – CBS News
What Is a Logic Bomb? Explanation & Prevention
Logic Bomb Set Off South Korea Cyberattack | WIRED
Mobile secure gateway External links:
Mobile secure gateway – Revolvy
www.revolvy.com/topic/Mobile secure gateway
SeaCat Mobile Secure Gateway – TeskaLabs · Security
Mobile Secure Gateway Performance – Cobham Wireless
Mobile security External links:
ADP Mobile Security
Lookout Mobile Security app | T-Mobile Support
Mobile Protection, Enterprise Mobile Security – Skycure
Multi-factor authentication External links:
Multi-Factor Authentication™ | User Portal
Multi-Factor Authentication – Access control | Microsoft Azure
Network security External links:
Firewall Management Software | Network Security …
What is Network Security? Webopedia Definition
Polymorphic code External links:
Polymorphic Code | Basick Records
Shellter v1.0 – Binding PolyMorphic Code I – YouTube
Polymorphic Code – Google Groups
Screen scrape External links:
[PDF]Screen scrape pdf – WordPress.com
web scraping – How do screen scrapers work? – Stack Overflow
Secure coding External links:
Secure Coding Guideline – developer.force.com
Secure Coding Cheat Sheet – OWASP
Security-focused operating system External links:
Security-focused operating system – WOW.com
Security by design External links:
Rubrik Cloud Data Management: Security by Design
Global Privacy and Security By Design
Security by Design Principles – OWASP
Security software External links:
Security Software and TurboTax – TurboTax Support
Internet Security Software | Trend Micro
Security testing External links:
TxDPS – Private Security Testing/Training
Web Application Security Testing with AppSpider | Rapid7
[PDF]Technical guide to information security testing and …
Software development process External links:
During which phase of the software development process …
What is Software Development Process? – Definition …
Software engineer External links:
Software Engineer Skills List and Examples – The Balance
Software Engineer Intern – Summer 2018 – Dropbox
Software Engineer Jobs | Glassdoor
Systems development life cycle External links:
Systems Development Life Cycle – albany.edu
[PDF]Systems Development Life Cycle (SDLC) …
[PDF]Systems Development Life Cycle: Objectives and …
Trojan horse External links:
Web application security External links:
Netsparker Web Application Security Scanner
Web Application Security Testing with AppSpider | Rapid7