What is involved in Software-Defined Security
Find out what the related areas are that Software-Defined Security connects with, associates with, correlates with or affects, and which require thought, deliberation, analysis, review and discussion. This unique checklist stands out in a sense that it is not per-se designed to give answers, but to engage the reader and lay out a Software-Defined Security thinking-frame.
How far is your company on its Software-Defined Security journey?
Take this short survey to gauge your organization’s progress toward Software-Defined Security leadership. Learn your strongest and weakest areas, and what you can do now to create a strategy that delivers results.
To address the criteria in this checklist for your organization, extensive selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information.
Start the Checklist
Below you will find a quick checklist designed to help you think about which Software-Defined Security related domains to cover and 97 essential critical questions to check off in that domain.
The following domains are covered:
Software-Defined Security, Software-defined networking, Active networking, Application-specific integrated circuit, Cellular network, Cisco Systems, Cloud computing, Content-addressable memory, Core network, IEEE 802.1aq, Integrated Services Digital Network, Intel Data Plane Development Kit, Local area network, National Science Foundation, Network functions virtualization, Network packet, Network switch, Network virtualization platform, Northbound interface, OSI model, OpenDaylight Project, Open Networking Foundation, Open vSwitch, Quanta Computer, Radio access network, Software-defined data center, Software-defined mobile network, Software-defined protection, Traffic flow, Wide Area Network:
Software-Defined Security Critical Criteria:
Deliberate over Software-Defined Security leadership and optimize Software-Defined Security leadership as a key to advancement.
– A compounding model resolution with available relevant data can often provide insight towards a solution methodology; which Software-Defined Security models, tools and techniques are necessary?
– For your Software-Defined Security project, identify and describe the business environment. is there more than one layer to the business environment?
– Think of your Software-Defined Security project. what are the main functions?
Software-defined networking Critical Criteria:
Dissect Software-defined networking governance and learn.
– Think about the people you identified for your Software-Defined Security project and the project responsibilities you would assign to them. what kind of training do you think they would need to perform these responsibilities effectively?
– What is Effective Software-Defined Security?
Active networking Critical Criteria:
Wrangle Active networking goals and use obstacles to break out of ruts.
– Consider your own Software-Defined Security project. what types of organizational problems do you think might be causing or affecting your problem, based on the work done so far?
– Do those selected for the Software-Defined Security team have a good general understanding of what Software-Defined Security is all about?
– What potential environmental factors impact the Software-Defined Security effort?
Application-specific integrated circuit Critical Criteria:
Derive from Application-specific integrated circuit leadership and probe the present value of growth of Application-specific integrated circuit.
– What are your key performance measures or indicators and in-process measures for the control and improvement of your Software-Defined Security processes?
– What sources do you use to gather information for a Software-Defined Security study?
– What are our Software-Defined Security Processes?
Cellular network Critical Criteria:
Concentrate on Cellular network leadership and visualize why should people listen to you regarding Cellular network.
– Are there any easy-to-implement alternatives to Software-Defined Security? Sometimes other solutions are available that do not require the cost implications of a full-blown project?
Cisco Systems Critical Criteria:
Test Cisco Systems tactics and oversee implementation of Cisco Systems.
– Does Software-Defined Security appropriately measure and monitor risk?
– Are we Assessing Software-Defined Security and Risk?
Cloud computing Critical Criteria:
Weigh in on Cloud computing leadership and attract Cloud computing skills.
– Security and authentication technologies, allied to event logging, in the cloud computing environment can help auditors as they deal with issues related to workflow were those who entered, approved, changed or otherwise touched data authorized to do so, on an individual, group or role-related basis?
– How might we classify current cloud computing offerings across a spectrum, and how do the technical and business challenges differ depending on where in the spectrum a particular offering lies?
– How can you start to build to a position of trust and risk management when setting up cloud computing for your organization?
– If the application is used to generate revenue, is the move to cloud computing expected to increase that revenue?
– Are the risks associated with cloud computing actually higher than the risks enterprises are facing today?
– How do you prove data provenance in a cloud computing scenario when you are using shared resources?
– How should we report on the geographic location (street address) for cloud computing solutions?
– What new opportunities are either enabled by or potential drivers of cloud computing?
– What makes cloud computing well suited for supply chain management applications?
– How can cloud stakeholders ensure and promote the security of Cloud computing?
– Will Cloud Computing replace traditional dedicated server hosting?
– What defines a true cloud solution versus the quasi cloud?
– What is the impact of hybrid cloud computing on i&o?
– Is there a good pricing model for cloud services?
– Is the market ready yet for P2P cloud computing?
– What are reasons to say no to cloud computing?
– How does BYOD affect security in the cloud?
– Will cloud computing always lower costs?
– What happened to grid computing?
– Fedramp approved/compliant?
Content-addressable memory Critical Criteria:
Read up on Content-addressable memory projects and give examples utilizing a core of simple Content-addressable memory skills.
– What are your current levels and trends in key measures or indicators of Software-Defined Security product and process performance that are important to and directly serve your customers? how do these results compare with the performance of your competitors and other organizations with similar offerings?
– Where do ideas that reach policy makers and planners as proposals for Software-Defined Security strengthening and reform actually originate?
Core network Critical Criteria:
Transcribe Core network adoptions and customize techniques for implementing Core network controls.
– Who is responsible for ensuring appropriate resources (time, people and money) are allocated to Software-Defined Security?
– In what ways are Software-Defined Security vendors and us interacting to ensure safe and effective use?
IEEE 802.1aq Critical Criteria:
Model after IEEE 802.1aq strategies and remodel and develop an effective IEEE 802.1aq strategy.
– How do we measure improved Software-Defined Security service perception, and satisfaction?
Integrated Services Digital Network Critical Criteria:
Check Integrated Services Digital Network planning and look at the big picture.
– How do we go about Comparing Software-Defined Security approaches/solutions?
– How can skill-level changes improve Software-Defined Security?
Intel Data Plane Development Kit Critical Criteria:
X-ray Intel Data Plane Development Kit visions and probe using an integrated framework to make sure Intel Data Plane Development Kit is getting what it needs.
– How can we incorporate support to ensure safe and effective use of Software-Defined Security into the services that we provide?
– Are accountability and ownership for Software-Defined Security clearly defined?
– How to deal with Software-Defined Security Changes?
Local area network Critical Criteria:
Inquire about Local area network issues and optimize Local area network leadership as a key to advancement.
– A virtual local area network (vlan) is a physical grouping of network devices within a larger network. true or false?
– Will new equipment/products be required to facilitate Software-Defined Security delivery for example is new software needed?
National Science Foundation Critical Criteria:
Ventilate your thoughts about National Science Foundation results and find out.
– Which customers cant participate in our Software-Defined Security domain because they lack skills, wealth, or convenient access to existing solutions?
– What prevents me from making the changes I know will make me a more effective Software-Defined Security leader?
– Meeting the challenge: are missed Software-Defined Security opportunities costing us money?
Network functions virtualization Critical Criteria:
Derive from Network functions virtualization governance and point out improvements in Network functions virtualization.
– What are our best practices for minimizing Software-Defined Security project risk, while demonstrating incremental value and quick wins throughout the Software-Defined Security project lifecycle?
– At what point will vulnerability assessments be performed once Software-Defined Security is put into production (e.g., ongoing Risk Management after implementation)?
– What other jobs or tasks affect the performance of the steps in the Software-Defined Security process?
Network packet Critical Criteria:
Dissect Network packet governance and integrate design thinking in Network packet innovation.
– Think about the kind of project structure that would be appropriate for your Software-Defined Security project. should it be formal and complex, or can it be less formal and relatively simple?
– How can we improve Software-Defined Security?
Network switch Critical Criteria:
See the value of Network switch strategies and diversify by understanding risks and leveraging Network switch.
– Who will be responsible for deciding whether Software-Defined Security goes ahead or not after the initial investigations?
– Why is Software-Defined Security important for you now?
Network virtualization platform Critical Criteria:
Air ideas re Network virtualization platform visions and describe which business rules are needed as Network virtualization platform interface.
– In the case of a Software-Defined Security project, the criteria for the audit derive from implementation objectives. an audit of a Software-Defined Security project involves assessing whether the recommendations outlined for implementation have been met. in other words, can we track that any Software-Defined Security project is implemented as planned, and is it working?
– How will you know that the Software-Defined Security project has been successful?
Northbound interface Critical Criteria:
Guide Northbound interface outcomes and proactively manage Northbound interface risks.
– What is our formula for success in Software-Defined Security ?
– How do we go about Securing Software-Defined Security?
OSI model Critical Criteria:
Depict OSI model outcomes and know what your objective is.
OpenDaylight Project Critical Criteria:
Graph OpenDaylight Project leadership and probe using an integrated framework to make sure OpenDaylight Project is getting what it needs.
– What about Software-Defined Security Analysis of results?
Open Networking Foundation Critical Criteria:
Pay attention to Open Networking Foundation visions and triple focus on important concepts of Open Networking Foundation relationship management.
– How do mission and objectives affect the Software-Defined Security processes of our organization?
– Will Software-Defined Security deliverables need to be tested and, if so, by whom?
Open vSwitch Critical Criteria:
Talk about Open vSwitch tactics and cater for concise Open vSwitch education.
– Who needs to know about Software-Defined Security ?
– Who sets the Software-Defined Security standards?
Quanta Computer Critical Criteria:
Meet over Quanta Computer goals and oversee Quanta Computer requirements.
– Do we aggressively reward and promote the people who have the biggest impact on creating excellent Software-Defined Security services/products?
– How important is Software-Defined Security to the user organizations mission?
Radio access network Critical Criteria:
Administer Radio access network outcomes and probe the present value of growth of Radio access network.
– How do your measurements capture actionable Software-Defined Security information for use in exceeding your customers expectations and securing your customers engagement?
– Risk factors: what are the characteristics of Software-Defined Security that make it risky?
– Can we do Software-Defined Security without complex (expensive) analysis?
Software-defined data center Critical Criteria:
Extrapolate Software-defined data center strategies and find answers.
– How do senior leaders actions reflect a commitment to the organizations Software-Defined Security values?
– Who are the people involved in developing and implementing Software-Defined Security?
Software-defined mobile network Critical Criteria:
Have a session on Software-defined mobile network quality and point out Software-defined mobile network tensions in leadership.
Software-defined protection Critical Criteria:
Accumulate Software-defined protection management and observe effective Software-defined protection.
– Why is it important to have senior management support for a Software-Defined Security project?
– Are we making progress? and are we making progress as Software-Defined Security leaders?
Traffic flow Critical Criteria:
Confer over Traffic flow decisions and look for lots of ideas.
– What business benefits will Software-Defined Security goals deliver if achieved?
– What are internal and external Software-Defined Security relations?
Wide Area Network Critical Criteria:
Start Wide Area Network engagements and raise human resource and employment practices for Wide Area Network.
– What are our needs in relation to Software-Defined Security skills, labor, equipment, and markets?
This quick readiness checklist is a selected resource to help you move forward. Learn more about how to achieve comprehensive insights with the Software-Defined Security Self Assessment:
Author: Gerard Blokdijk
CEO at The Art of Service | theartofservice.com
Gerard is the CEO at The Art of Service. He has been providing information technology insights, talks, tools and products to organizations in a wide range of industries for over 25 years. Gerard is a widely recognized and respected information expert. Gerard founded The Art of Service consulting business in 2000. Gerard has authored numerous published books to date.
To address the criteria in this checklist, these selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information:
Software-defined networking External links:
What is software-defined networking (SDN)? – …
Juniper Networks Software-Defined Networking …
Active networking External links:
THE ART OF ACTIVE NETWORKING Public Group | Facebook
Main Line Active Networking Meetup (Bryn Mawr, PA)
Active Networking Group – Home | Facebook
Cisco Systems External links:
Cisco Worldwide – Cisco Systems
CSCO Cisco Systems Inc XNAS:CSCO Stock Quote Price …
Cloud computing External links:
Cloud Computing and Data Center Infrastructure as a Service
iExec – Blockchain-based Decentralized Cloud Computing
Microsoft Azure Cloud Computing Platform & Services
Content-addressable memory External links:
Content-addressable memory – NIPPON ELECTRIC CO
CONTENT-ADDRESSABLE MEMORY SYSTEMS,
Core network External links:
Core Network – Official Site
Core Network Companion Guide: Group Policy Deployment
IEEE 802.1aq External links:
Shortest Path Bridging – IEEE 802.1aq – YouTube
IEEE 802.1aq Archives – Avaya Connected Blog
Tutorial: IEEE 802.1aq Shortest Path Bridging – YouTube
Integrated Services Digital Network External links:
[PDF]Integrated Services Digital Network (ISDN) 8510T …
Integrated Services Digital Network (ISDN)
[PDF]Integrated Services Digital Network (ISDN) 8510T …
Intel Data Plane Development Kit External links:
Intel Data Plane Development Kit (DPDK) – Altencalsoft
Intel Data Plane Development Kit Video HD – YouTube
Local area network External links:
Definition of LOCAL AREA NETWORK – Merriam-Webster
www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/local area network
National Science Foundation External links:
NSF – National Science Foundation
National Science Foundation: Preliminary Observations …
National Science Foundation (NSF) – Home | Facebook
Network functions virtualization External links:
Network Functions Virtualization (NFV) – NEC Global
Network Functions Virtualization | GENBAND
Cisco Network Functions Virtualization (NFV)
Network packet External links:
Software-Driven Network Packet Brokers | NETSCOUT
Packet Analyzer – Network Packet Analysis | SolarWinds
VERSAstream™ Network Packet Brokers | Datacom …
Network switch External links:
Raymarine HS5 SeaTalkhs Network Switch
Network virtualization platform External links:
VMware & Nicira, Nicira Network Virtualization Platform …
OpenVirteX | Network Virtualization Platform
Northbound interface External links:
Wireless Glossary – NBI (Northbound Interface)
[MS-NCNBI]: Network Controller Northbound Interface
OSI model External links:
The OSI Model’s Seven Layers Defined and Functions …
Troubleshooting Along the OSI Model – Pearson IT …
The OSI model Flashcards | Quizlet
OpenDaylight Project External links:
OpenDaylight Project – YouTube
OpenDaylight Project – Home | Facebook
OpenDaylight Project (@OpenDaylightSDN) | Twitter
Open Networking Foundation External links:
Open Networking Foundation – Official Site
Open Networking Foundation Membership Information | …
Open vSwitch External links:
Open vSwitch Cheat Sheet – The Random Security Guy
Installing Open vSwitch — Open vSwitch 2.9.90 …
VXLAN overlay networks with Open vSwitch – YouTube
Quanta Computer External links:
QUANTA COMPUTER, INC. v. LG ELECTRONICS, INC. | …
QUANTA COMPUTER, INC. v. LG ELECTRONICS, INC.
Quanta Computer – 廣達電腦
Radio access network External links:
Networking and Radio Access Network Equipment – …
Software-defined protection External links:
Traffic flow External links:
AWC – Traffic Flow Management – Aviation Weather
Wide Area Network External links:
What is WAN (Wide Area Network)? – Computer Hope
What Is a Wide Area Network (WAN) and How Does It Work?
[PDF]ALTESS Wide Area Network Acceptable Use Agreement